name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Rafael Nadal unveils the best decision he made in a career

Rafael Nadal unveils the best decision he made in a career

Advertisemen

World no. 1 Rafael Nadal had a year to remember in 2019, winning two Major crowns and two Masters 1000 trophies to stay in touch with Roger Federer in the GOAT race. The Spaniard became the oldest year-end no. 1 player since the beginning of the ranking in 1973, winning at least one ATP title for the record-breaking 16th straight season and extending his dominance at Roland Garros where he clinched a mind-blowing 12th crown in June. Rafa will lead his country at the ATP Cup between January 3-12, seeking another team title after a marvelous performance in Madrid where Spain grabbed the Davis Cup Finals trophy in front of the home fans in Madrid.

Speaking about the best decision he made in a career, the most celebrated Spanish athlete of all time mentioned the fact he never wanted to leave Spain and go and live somewhere else. Despite high taxes and uncertain length of a career due to injuries in the early years, Rafa never wanted to move from Mallorca, not even to Barcelona where he had the opportunity to train for free. Surrounded by his family and working under the guidance of his uncle, Rafa has achieved incredible things in the last 15 years, becoming one of the greatest players of all time and establishing a legacy that will hardly be matched, especially after he opened the Rafa Nadal Academy in Manacor a couple of years ago. 

"Staying here in Manacor was the best decision I have ever made; that's one of the most satisfying choices of my career. When I was young, I had the opportunity to go to the High-Performance Centre in Sant Cugat in Barcelona to train, without having to pay anything. Still, I wanted to stay at home, work with my uncle and keep my family around me, even though it meant my family had to make significant financial sacrifices. When I became a professional, some people suggested I should go and live somewhere else because it would have been very beneficial in terms of money.

But I decided to stay in Spain and pay a 50% tax on everything I have earned from tennis in what could have been a short career. I would have made a lot more money if I had lived abroad but that wouldn't make me happy and it could have cost me more personally. I don't know if, at that time, I would have been mentally prepared to go and train and live somewhere else. In Spain, athletes pay a high rate of tax and a lot of what we earn comes from overseas, with a higher tax rate. Still, I have never regretted my decision because it also helped me professionally and to achieve all these things."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2ZOD9vW
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments