name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Angelique Kerber shares reasons behind her Madrid withdrawal

Angelique Kerber shares reasons behind her Madrid withdrawal

Advertisemen

In a press conference, Angelique Kerber announced her withdrawal from the Madrid Open. The German player was supposed to face Petra Martic on Tuesday but she twisted her ankle during a training session. "I was running and then I twisted a bit and I was... Because I know that you never know on clay and whatever, and then we checked it. But I will fly home tonight or tomorrow morning and I will see. And I will just, yeah, speaking with my doctors and everything and check everything, but I will try of course to get as soon as possible on court again. But yeah to be safe and on clay, you have to be 100 per cent to run and everything. So, that's why, yeah, it's of course not an easy decision, especially here in Madrid. It is always for me especially not so easy to withdraw from tournaments and I mean, I tried everything also here with the physios, with my physio and my team, and me we decide okay the clay court season is still a few weeks ahead, we have a lot of things to do still and to be really safe and to not making, like, overtraining, overmatches and overdoing it. Yeah, I said okay, maybe it's better for the next weeks to save it", said Kerber.

Asked how big her pain levels are, the Brema native replied: "I tried. I tried. I cannot really walk without pain, so this is why I really said okay, it's better to not risk it because I feel it when I'm walking and this is a not a good sign to going on court and giving everything, two or three hours running out there. Even if I walk, I feel the pain, so it just happened a few hours ago."

"Of course, it's not the best clay court preparation. I think it's the worst I ever had (smiling) and I was looking forward this year to the clay court season and now first with the virus, now with the ankle, it's not really good sign yet. But I'm trying. I have still one week to Rome, so I'm going home trying everything I could to be as soon as possible on court again and we have still a few more weeks so hopefully, yeah, I can be ready for the next big ones.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2VV6C7P
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments