name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Monfils: Gap Between Roger Federer, Nadal and Djokovic e the Rest is Still the Same

Monfils: Gap Between Roger Federer, Nadal and Djokovic e the Rest is Still the Same

Advertisemen

French tennis star Gael Monfils says the gap between the Big 3 in men's tennis, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic, and the rising stars of the game do not seem to be closing, according to an interview published by 7news.com.au.

Many have predicted that the younger generation will challenge for the Grand Slams in 2020 - after Daniil Medvedev and Dominic Thiem reached finals of the Grand Slam events last year and Greek youngster Stefanos Tsitsipas won the season-ending ATP Finals in November.

Ranked No. 10 in the world, Monfils says, "I don't know if the gap is closing. I feel that those top three guys they're still winning quite a lot. We have a few others winning as well. But with the gap (between the top three and the rest of the field) it's still the same I guess."

Monfils, who has reached the semi-finals of the US Open and French Open and peaked at No. 6 in the world rankings earlier, continues that he wants to be in the Top 5 of the world in 2020 rankings. "I had a great year in 2019 and I tried to set my goals a bit higher than it was for last year. I really want to be in the top five. I will do anything that's possible...to find the keys to try to get there. But it will be hard with the guys that are coming up and also with the older players (top three). But I think the top 50 is very strong. So I don't put any pressure on myself - I try to do my best."

France is part of Group A at the ATP Cup, which also includes Serbia, Chile and South Africa.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2FjpVO7
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments