name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Alexander Cozbinov: 'I’ve never played with that many people watching'

Alexander Cozbinov: 'I’ve never played with that many people watching'

Advertisemen

Moldova’s Alexander Cozbinov had never played a match on the ATP Tour before last Friday. He had only officially met one Top 200 on the court. He has a 0-3 record on the ATP Challenger Tour. Yet, he managed to push former World No. 38 Steve Darcis to his limits in their over-three-hours-long ATP Cup opening confrontation. 

“In the beginning of the match, I was a little bit nervous because it was unusual conditions. I’ve never played with that many people watching,” Cozbinov said, recalling the atmosphere that wrapped his hard fight, which he lost 6-4, 6-7(4), 7-5. “But as the match went on, I started feeling more comfortable and comfortable and actually in the middle of the second set I really liked the crowd and everything. I didn’t think about the outcome. I just thought that I had nothing to lose. I tried to play as best as I can. I didn’t think about win or lose, I just tried to show the best I could do.”

The 24-year-old has reached his best ATP singles ranking (#816) in early December, but he can boast having climbed up to the 387th place in the doubles list. This was not his first time representing his country in a team competition as he has a 1-1 Davis Cup record.

“It’s an amazing experience. I was very lucky to be on that court and playing against one of the best players, so of course it’s going to help me moving forward for 2020,” Cozbinov said. “I think it was a great experience, a great opportunity, but I have to keep working and keep improving my game so I can come back here again.”

Moldova's first racket Radu Albot tried to balance the tie during the second singles match, but he bowed out 6-4, 6-1 to David Goffin.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/37Copmt
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments