name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Dominic Thiem ready for French Open king Rafael Nadal

Dominic Thiem ready for French Open king Rafael Nadal

Advertisemen

Austrian tennis star Dominic Thiem used the word "epic" to describe his French Open semifinal clash against world No. 1 Novak Djokovic, which he ended up winning 6-2 3-6 7-5 5-7 7-5 in over four hours of play. 

The fourth-seeded Austrian failed to serve out for the match in the ninth game of the fifth set -- in a game where he had two consecutive match point -- as Djokovic broke back to eventually level the set at 5-5. 

Despite missing a golden opportunity to seal the win, Thiem kept his focus as he broke the top-seeded Serb in the 12th game to make back-to-back French Open finals. 

The match between Thiem and Djokovic featured three rain delays as the two stars started their match on Friday but ended the following day. 

"It was my first five-setter in Roland Garros, an epic match. I mean, so many ups and downs and rain, going back to the locker, on court again. Somehow I had the feeling that I had the lead in the whole match, and then at the end, it got so tough. And at the end, both of us could win, and I luckily got the better in the end," Thiem said post-match, per the Roland Garros website. 

Thiem will be fighting against record 11-time French Open champion Rafael Nadal on Sunday for his maiden Grand Slam title. 

The Austrian insists he will be ready for the final as he will be motivated to make amends for his disappointing performance in last year's French Open final, which he ended up losing in straight sets to Nadal. 

“To play Rafa here on this court is always the ultimate challenge, one of the toughest challenges in sports,” Thiem acknowledged.

“It's an unbelievable opportunity. I said last year that I hope to get another chance in a Grand Slam final and do better then, so tomorrow there is the chance. I think it's really important that I go into the match with the belief to win. That's the most important thing.

“I’m still feeling fine, I’m still full of adrenaline. I’m not going to be tired, I’m ready to leave everything I have out on the court tomorrow."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2MyOnBJ
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments