name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> 'A young player winning a Major before Federer, Nadal retire is important'

'A young player winning a Major before Federer, Nadal retire is important'

Advertisemen

The seven-time Grand Slam winner Mats Wilander believes that several players can dethrone Rafael Nadal at the French Open. The Swede, speaking on Eurosport, said: "I think Dominic Thiem does have the potential to spoil the party here, beating Nadal in Barcelona – that was as good a performance as when he beat Federer in Indian Wells Juan Martin Del Potro, Marin Cilic and Stan Wawrinka have all showed it can be done in the past and opened my eyes. ‘I don’t think it’s too early for someone like Tstisipas, I really don’t. When I see him talk, when I see him play, he’s as mature as the other guys – he just hasn’t won as much. It’s so important to me that one of the younger guys win a Slam before Nadal, Federer and Djokovic leave the game."

In an interview to L'Equipe the former world No. 1 Lindsay Davenport was asked what were the toughest rivals she ever faced: "Steffi Graf and Serena Williams. I played against Steffi in 1993 and until 1999, I played against Serena from 1997 to 2005. I played them in very different times in their careers. But since Serena was young, you could feel how big she would become. And the same with Steffi when she was closer to end her career."

Asked what was her most important match ever, Davenport replied: "It was in the 1993 US Open. I was 17 years old. The same age as Jennifer Capriati. There was a lot of focus obviously in Jennifer, who allowed me to progress without being too much in the spotlight. During the tournament, I beat the No. 15 Amanda Coetzer. I reached the fourth round and I was playing against Gabriela Sabatini."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2JTtH5g
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments