name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Carlos Alcaraz can achieve a notable milestone at Wimbledon

Carlos Alcaraz can achieve a notable milestone at Wimbledon

Advertisemen

There are records and statistics in tennis that have an important technical value, as Carlos Alcaraz knows well. The youngest ATP No.1 of the Open era, for example, won his 3 Major titles on three different surfaces. And this year, at Wimbledon, he could even take a further step forward in the history of tennis. Carlitos has the opportunity to try to join a decidedly exclusive club of tennis stars: winning Roland Garros and Wimbledon in the same season. In fact, there are few tennis players who have made it in the Open Era.

The Spanish tennis player aims to become the sixth player in history to achieve this double. And there are two players who have managed to repeat this feat more than once. The first to succeed in this double between the Parisian red clay and the London grass was Rod Laver in 1969. Laver is also the last player to have managed to obtain the Grand Slam or win all 4 in the same calendar year Major tournaments. The Swedish tennis player Bjorn Borg was able to win 11 Grand Slam tournaments: 6 in Paris and 5 in London. And he made the Roland Garros-Wimbledon double for three times in three years in a row. It happened in 1978, 1979 and 1980.

Carlos Alcaraz Carlos Alcaraz© Clive Brunskill / Staff Getty Images Sport  

Obviously, the Big 3 who dominated tennis and shattered all kinds of records are present in this ranking. Rafael Nadal achieved this feat twice in 2008 and 2010. Obviously memorable was the 2008 Wimbledon final in which he won against Roger Federer for the first time in London, winning 9-7 in the fifth set. In 2009, Roger Federer achieved it, the only year in which the Swiss player won at Roland Garros by beating Robin Soderling in the final. Then the 16-14 thriller victory in the fifth set against Roddick at Wimbledon. Finally, Novak Djokovic achieved the feat in 2021 by beating Stefanos Tsitsipas in Paris and Matteo Berrettini at Wimbledon. Carlos Alcaraz will try to become the sixth player in Open Era history to accomplish this goal.

We remember Alcaraz is the second youngest player in the Open Era to have won all of his first three Grand Slam men's singles finals. Before him there is only Bjorn Borg, who succeeded in this feat at the age of 20 years and 27 days.

"The last month has been complicated due to the injury. We have had so many doubts over the next few weeks and I am grateful to have all of you here with me. I know that you give your best and your heart to make me grow, mature and improve both as a person and as a player. I call you a team, but you are a family. Thanks to my father, my mother and all my family. It's wonderful to have you in my box. Since I was a child, I used to rush home after school to watch the tournament and now I'm lifting the trophy before your eyes. Thanks again," said Carlitos after his triumph at Roland Garros.

Carlos Alcaraz Carlos Alcaraz© Clive Brunskill / Staff Getty Images Sport  

Alcaraz has often praised Federer, Djokovic and Nadal for dominating the Tour for so long. One quality, in particular, has allowed the Big 3 to write tennis history year after year: the constant desire to work on the details to continue improving despite all the successes and records. It is precisely by reflecting on this important lesson that Alcaraz does not want to stop growing to add new and fundamental pieces to his game and his abilities.

"The first match in any new tournament is never easy, especially when the grass season begins. You want to achieve good results and you always have to deal with your high expectations. I am happy with my performance. Playing against Francisco Cerundolo is always a good test. It's nice to find yourself in these situations, when you have to fight to get back into the game in a set, as happened to me today in the second. I am happy with everything I have done and I hope to continue like this," said the Spaniard after the winning debut Queen's Club Championships, where he defends the title.

Carlos Alcaraz Carlos Alcaraz© Luke Walker / Stringer Getty Images Sport  

"It doesn't matter what tournament I'm playing and everything I've already achieved in my career. I'm still learning day by day. I have to do better every time I step onto the pitch. On grass, specifically, I have to understand how to play and move well. So yes, I feel like I still have a lot of things to learn. Holiday in Ibiza? I had fun and I have to enjoy my days off. You need to take a break and celebrate a major success. Even just to relax mentally and then come back stronger than before. Three days were enough for me!" he told.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/LYQgyao
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments