name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Ex-Wimbledon finalist Kevin Anderson announces surprise return to tennis at 37

Ex-Wimbledon finalist Kevin Anderson announces surprise return to tennis at 37

Advertisemen

2018 Wimbledon finalist Kevin Anderson has announced that he will be making his comeback to pro tennis at an ATP 250 event in Newport. Anderson, 37, walked away from pro tennis in 2022 May. 14 months later, former world No 5 Anderson is returning to the ATP Tour and his comeback starts on the grass courts of Newport, where he won his seventh and last ATP title in 2021. 

“I’m thrilled to make my return to the Tour in Newport. Winning the Infosys Hall of Fame Open in 2021 was a special moment for me. I couldn’t think of a better place to make my comeback, and I’m excited to hit the grass once again," Anderson told the ATP website.

Anderson: I was inpain and it was difficult for me to compete

Anderson played his last match in 2022 March, when he was beaten by Juan Manuel Cerundolo in the Miami Masters first round. With that loss, Anderson's record in 2022 was pushed to 1-5 on the main level. According to Anderson himself, he was in so much that it was extremely difficult for him to compete. But now, Anderson is back to feeling healthy and he wants to give pro tennis another shot.

“When I retired, it was tough. I was dealing with a lot of physical pain. Just a lot of parts of the body were really making it difficult to compete the way I wanted to, but also emotionally and mentally it was very challenging and I felt like I needed to stop playing. When I retired I didn’t know if I was going to play again or not. Most of last year I wasn’t planning to. But a couple months ago I started hitting again and just really enjoyed being out there. My body felt much better and what I was doing with the tennis ball was really exciting to me and made me want to challenge myself again. I didn’t know if I’d have that opportunity but fortunately Newport has given me one, so I wanted to go out there and play again," Anderson explained.

Anderson's comeback starts in 10 days as Newport is set to kick off on July 17th.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/nFzvS9M
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments