name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Serena Williams recalls feeling 'so guilty' after daughter Olympia broke her wrist

Serena Williams recalls feeling 'so guilty' after daughter Olympia broke her wrist

Advertisemen

Former world No. 1 Serena Williams revealed her daugher Olympia broke her wrist during the 2018 French Open and she felt "so guilty" and "devastated."

That year, Williams was playing her first Grand Slam tournament since giving birth. 

Olympia was born on September 1, 2017.

"So that year I had Olympia and I had a match the next day and that night, she fell out of her high chair and broke her wrist. And she was on my watch. And I was just basically devastated. Like, I literally couldn't think. I felt so guilty. I just, anyway. So she fell. We went to the hospital and she had a small tear, a break in her wrist, so she had to get a cast and we didn't get back ‘til like four in the morning. Meanwhile, of course, it is the one day I was playing early," Williams said on the Archetypes podcast, per Sportskeeda.

Williams' daughter fell off the chair despite being carefully watched 

"I remember holding her the whole night and just like rocking her to sleep and I just didn't let her out of my sight at that point because I was already and I'm hard on myself, and I’m a little bit of a perfectionist," Wiliams added. "But I was so mad at myself for even allowing that to happen. So I think I got like 30 minutes of sleep and then I had to go play this match. And I'm just thinking, how am I going to play?"

After going through a lot mentally and getting only half an hour of sleep, Williams was able to win her French Open match that day.

"I somehow managed to win, but I was so emotionally spent and just like so emotionally drained that it was, it was crazy. And, you know, and then like every night after that, I just was with her the whole time and was like you're going to be with me," Williams said.

That year, Williams' Frenhc Open campaign ended with a round-of-16 walkover given to Maria Sharapova.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/5e879bk
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments