name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Alexander Zverev shows his respect to Roger Federer

Alexander Zverev shows his respect to Roger Federer

Advertisemen

German tennis star Alexander Zverev, 25, underlined that he is not a very young player anymore and that he is at the stage of his career where he simply needs to get it done. 

Zverev rose to a career-high ranking of No. 3 in 2017 and at the time many thought a maiden Grand Slam title would soon follow. 

Zverev, who was expected to have multiple Grand Slam titles by 2022, is still without a Major title but he is two wins away from winning his first at the French Open. 

On Tuesday, Zverev defeated Carlos Alcaraz 6-4 6-4 4-6 7-6 (7) in the French Open quarterfinal. 

"At the end of the day, I said a lot of times, I'm not 20 or 21 years old anymore; I'm 25. I am at the stage where I want to win, I'm at the stage where I'm supposed to win, as well," Zverev said, per Sportskeeda. 

Zverev: Roger Federer always has to be mentioned

Zverev underlined that Nadal and Djokovic are still strong forces but acknowledged that the younger generation is a legitimate threat. 

Also, Zverev said Federer can never be underestimated. 

"We still have the best players in the world playing with Novak, Rafa, and Roger is coming back. I'm not sure at the age of 41 if he is going to win Grand Slams again but obviously you have to mention him. Then you have the new generation," Zverev noted. "But I think our generation is very strong as well. We have Tsitsipas, Medvedev who is a US Open champion. I mean, me, I won big events like the Olympics, as well."

Federer, 40, is recovering well from a knee surgery and is expected to return later this year. 

Reflecting on the current state of the men's game, Zverev thinks it is in a great position. 

"I think tennis is at quite a high level right now, men's tennis, and I think that you have the mix of the best in the world like Rafa and Novak and Roger, if he comes back, but you have to name the mix of the newer generation as well who are a threat to them, I think," Zverev added. 



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/Q3UiLON
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments