name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Novak Djokovic criticizes Canada's Davis Cup forfeit from doubles match

Novak Djokovic criticizes Canada's Davis Cup forfeit from doubles match

Advertisemen

On Tuesday, Canada gave the USA a walkover in the Davis Cup doubles. The result is still being counted as 6-0, 6-0, whereas through the year if there's a walkover, it's not recorded in head-to-heads or player activities. Canada had already been guaranteed the first place in the group stage.

Novak Djokovic was asked what he thinks about it. "I heard that, actually, just recently. I personally don't like that. I mean, that shouldn't be allowed to be honest. I understand that Canada is through already, they won both of their ties. Maybe some of the players like Felix Auger-Aliassime, I think he's injured, and they wanted to rest their players for the quarterfinals and onwards. But I just feel it's not fair also to -- not fair that, you know, the opposing team -- was it the USA? -- gets 6-Love, 6-Love because they are going actually head-to-head now against Italy. And then the winner is going to be second, but then that 6-Love, 6-Love might make a big difference in the calculations for the second-best teams in the group. So I don't think that's fair, to be honest. But I also understand it wouldn't be fair if you just don't give a point, you know because the USA was ready to play doubles. So I don't know. But I think everyone should be obliged to come out and play at least play."

Canada has reached the semi-finals where it awaits the winner between Serbia and Russia. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2OHn7P5
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments