name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Robin Soderling reveals key behind 2009 French Open win over Rafael Nadal

Robin Soderling reveals key behind 2009 French Open win over Rafael Nadal

Advertisemen

In an interview to Globo Esporte, Robin Soderling revealed what was the key that made him beat Rafael Nadal in the 2009 French Open fourth round. The former Swedish player said: "To believe that I could really win. I spent almost the last 48 hours telling myself I could do it. I headed into the court thinking I was the favourite. If I did not believe in myself, why should I have played that match?"

How special was the win for Soderling? "I showed myself I could go far in a Grand Slam, not just in the most little tournaments."

From then, Nadal lost just one match at the French Open. Why? "Just because he is the most complete player on clay. He is very difficult to beat and you have to play at a very high level for the whole match and not make him dominate the match. This year Novak Djokovic and maybe Dominic Thiem could beat him, but I see Rafa as a favourite."

Asked what's the biggest difference between Nadal of ten years ago and now, Soderling replied: "I do not see a big difference on clay. To be honest, in 2009 he did better than I saw him doing this year. On the other side now he is better and maybe a bit more aggressive. But overall, the game is similar."

Asked what are the best players of the new generation, Soderling concluded: "I like Denis Shapovalov and Stefanos Tsitsipas too. Also, Felix Auger-Aliassime who is very interesting to watch. They play aggressive and have some big serves."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Y7kY2W
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments