name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Novak Djokovic: David Ferrer's devotion to sport is unprecedented

Novak Djokovic: David Ferrer's devotion to sport is unprecedented

Advertisemen

In an interview, Novak Djokovic commented on David Ferrer's upcoming retirement from tennis. The Serbian player said: "As I think all the other players, I share tremendous respect for David as player and as a person as well. He's someone that has earned that respect many times in his career. His fighting spirit, his devotion to the sport is unprecedented and in a way it's sad to see him leave. But I've talked with him the other day and he said he was preparing for this for a while and he's ready. He has a family and obviously he's ready for the next stage of his life. But he is always going to be welcome in our sport. And the doors will always be open for him."

Djokovic was asked into what direction he wants to go as the President of the ATP Player's Council. "I don't want to go through you guys to speak to them and it's not my way. I don't support that. I don't think it's right. I respect everyone's decision to do that, but I just feel like doing it behind closed doors before doing something collectively in public just sends the better message and allows everyone to understand the situation better. Look, I've been part of the council now for quite a few years. There are a lot of flaws in this system and communication-wise for sure we can improve. When I say 'we' I mean the whole system. I don't think at times it is as productive and it is as efficient as it should be. But at the same time, it goes both ways, so it's important for the players to reach out as well if they want to be engaged in any form of information gathering. I'm not pointing fingers at anybody. I feel like we need to be on this boat together, as we are. All the players and tournaments of course because we are all part of the same system. But I know it because I've been like that myself in the beginning of my career when I didn't really understand how things worked. And I would not have enough information and go out and speak my mind out and then create more trouble than we all actually have. So I feel like some players don't want to be involved in the process because it takes a lot of time and energy, you know. And as a player, part of the council, you don't get financially compensated, or you don't have anything like that. It is just your pure will to contribute positively to the sport... "

Continuing, he said, "So, we have the responsibility to be there and to be responsive. But at the same time, I understand that it takes a lot of effort, a lot of time to understand everything to going through the details and for a lot of players, including myself, at times it's too much. But then I don't think it's the right approach to just go out in public and talk about it when you don't have enough information and of course it goes both ways. As I said, communication from the council and board reps and the whole structure, political structure if you want to call it, side can be improved. But also vice versa. There are a lot of times where players don't give you much space to approach them because during the tournament everyone is in their zone and they don't want to be disturbed. So, everyone respects that and I, out of all these guys, I know that the most and I understand that. But at the same time, as I said, it goes both ways."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2DVUNE4
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments