name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> 2016 OG gold medallist Monica Puig wrote a letter to her younger self

2016 OG gold medallist Monica Puig wrote a letter to her younger self

Advertisemen

Set to face young Iga Swiatek in the French Open third round, Monica Puig was questioned about what she feels are the differences between her mental mindset now, versus that of her late teenage years.

“I think when I was younger I felt less pressure than I do now because, you know, you come on the tour and nobody really knows who you are. So you can just swing freely and nobody really has a game plan against you, nobody really knows.

And then once you start getting older, you play against these girls time and time again, you see them at tournaments and on TV, so you start to get a feel of that and things start to get a little more interesting.

But there's always room for improvement and tennis is constantly changing every single year. You don't have these super hard hitters only. You have people who slice, people who hit the ball up. You have so many different varieties of players that.

It's just a different game than -- you know, it just becomes different once you get older. Somebody called me a veteran maybe two years ago, and I was like, what? I can't be a veteran. I'm only 23. But now I'm 25, almost 26, and I think I can start accepting that term now.”

The 25-year-old opened up on the advice she would give to her younger self,

“I like to write in my diary every couple of days, and I wrote a letter to my younger self on experiences through life.

I would tell myself to just enjoy the ride. You're only 17, 18, 19, whatever, one time. You're only going to experience this life for so long.

And a tennis career, it might seem long to a lot of people. I've been playing professional tennis for a really long time now, and for a lot of people that might be, Wow, that's a long time, but for me it goes by in a blink of an eye.

So just to enjoy the ride, have fun. Don't put too much pressure on yourself because there's really no need. And to just work hard and trust in yourself and believe in yourself, because there's nobody out there who knows yourself better than you. And also to take care of yourself. Because if you don't, then it's going to be difficult.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2QHxmUs
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments