name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Carlos Alcaraz played the two best matches of the year

Carlos Alcaraz played the two best matches of the year

Advertisemen

Carlos Alcaraz won the ATP 500 in Beijing by defeating his great rival Jannik Sinner at the end of a truly memorable final. This clash between the Spanish ace and the Italian champion was perhaps the best match of the year together with the final of the Paris Olympics between Carlitos and Novak Djokovic (who had realized his dream of winning the gold medal during the summer).

Carlos Alcaraz, Beijing 2024 Carlos Alcaraz, Beijing 2024© Stream screenshot  

The 21-year-old from Murcia really played his best tennis and could have won in two sets, but Jannik proved once again why he is the world’s number 1. The 23-year-old from San Candido never gave up and seemed close to victory when he advanced 3-0 in the decisive tiebreak, but the serve failed at the climax and Carlitos played a series of almost unreal points.

Alcaraz has won his fourth title of the season after the Indian Wells Masters 1000, the French Open and the Wimbledon Championships. The four-time Grand Slam champion defeated Sinner for the third time in both matches played this year, an aspect not to be underestimated considering that the Italian ace suffered only six losses during the year. The two young champions will not have much time to rest, having to fly immediately to Shanghai for the eighth Masters 1000 in 2024.

An already epic rivalry

The matches between Alcaraz and Sinner are always beautiful and very spectacular, with sensational rallies that certify the qualities of these two great champions. The Italian and Spanish ace have split equally in the four Majors played this year and many believe they will dominate the ATP tour over the next 10-15 years.

“He could have won in two, I could win in two, he could win in three. It was a really close match,” said Alcaraz at the end of this epic match. “Jannik, once again, he showed that he’s the best player in the world, at least for me. The level that he’s playing, it’s unbelievable. It’s a really high quality of tennis. Of shots, physically, mentally, he’s a beast.

I never lost hope. Honestly I knew that when I started it that every tie-break Jannik plays is almost to his side. I thought that in the third set, I’m not going to lie, 3-love down, two mini breaks for him. So I didn’t lose hope, but I thought, ‘Okay, I have to give everything that I have just to try to give myself the opportunity to be close” – he added.

Carlos Alcaraz, Beijing 2024 Carlos Alcaraz, Beijing 2024© Stream screenshot  

Carlitos is back: “I played great points just to make 3-all and after that I just thought to go for it. If I lost it, at least I went for it. So that’s all I thought in that moment. During the whole week I’ve been playing great tennis. Probably sometimes the luck went to my side a little bit in the matches. But in general I feel great on court, I feel great off the court as well with my team. It’s really important to feel like you are in a good mood all the time off the court, just try to show good tennis and be calm on the court. I think I couldn’t ask for a better week here in Beijing and I will try to keep going.”

Next stop: Shanghai

The 21-year-old from Murcia has returned to his best after a short period of crisis, culminating in the second round elimination of the 2024 US Open against Botic van de Zandschulp. Despite having an forearm injury and some ups and downs this year, Carlitos is playing a stellar season for a player as young as 21.

In an interview during the 2024 Laver Cup, the Spaniard reflected on his great rivalry with Sinner: "Well, a lot of people talk about it. I like hearing it, I'm not gonna lie. I hope so. I hope that we our rivalry is going to be or almost that the Big 3 had during the whole career. I don't know. This is the first year that we shared all the Grand Slams. Hopefully gonna keep going like that, sharing great moments, fighting for the great tournaments, the Grand Slams, Masters 1000, Masters. So let's see how it's gonna be in the future the next few years. If we're gonna stay like that at this level, I think we are gonna build great rivalry, relationship off the court, as well.”

Carlos Alcaraz, Beijing 2024 Carlos Alcaraz, Beijing 2024© Stream screenshot  

Carlitos and Jannik have proven to be the worthy heirs of the Big 3 so far and will be a great fan treat in the coming years thanks to their rivalry. The two young champions could face again in the semi-final of the Masters 1000 in Shanghai.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/CIJQfdM
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments