name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Jannik Sinner has lost something compared to the beginning of the season

Jannik Sinner has lost something compared to the beginning of the season

Advertisemen

Jannik Sinner did not shine in his debut in Cincinnati, but he managed to beat the young American Alex Michelsen and qualified for the round of 16. The Italian is still far from the top of his form and has said several times that his main goal is the US Open, which will take place in New York at the end of August.

Jannik Sinner Jannik Sinner© Dylan Buell / Stringer Getty Images Sport  

The 2024 Australian Open champion has had several problems over the past two months, including a tonsillitis that forced him to skip the Paris Olympics and not train for a week. Jannik tried to play in Montreal last week, but he failed to defend his 1,000 points win in Toronto in 2023 as he was beaten by Andrey Rublev in the quarterfinals.

Sinner holds fewer points than Carlos Alcaraz and Novak Djokovic until the US Open, where he was eliminated by Alexander Zverev in the last round. The Italian wants to finish the year at the top of the ATP ranking, but he will have to defend many points in the autumn. The US Open will be a crucial race for the ATP number 1, with 24-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic having confirmed that he is no longer interested in this goal. Sinner will return to action on Friday against the Australian Jordan Thompson, a very dangerous opponent in these conditions.

Latest update on Sinner 

Jannik Sinner’s physical condition is not yet optimal, but he believes he can be 100% fit for the 2024 US Open.

Jannik Sinner, Cincinnati 2024 Jannik Sinner, Cincinnati 2024© Dylan Buell / Stringer - Getty Images Sport  

"I feel the moment remains positive. I've had very consistent results, reaching the quarterfinals at the Wimbledon Championships, quarterfinals in Montreal last week, all while not being completely physically recovered. My goal is to do the best I can, and I don't dwell so much on what I did in the past or at the beginning of the year, which surely could give me more confidence. Things can change very quickly, so I try to stay positive whenever I can. Of course, playing at the highest level for a year is not easy; there will always be a couple of moments when you may falter a bit, but with the right mindset, you can bounce back. So, I'm trying to do that, and then we'll see” – Sinner stated after his win over Alex Michelsen in Cincinnati.

He also added: "I definitely thought my first match was a quality challenge. Alex served very well and played solid tennis from the baseline. He's a very young player, and I foresee a bright future for him. From my perspective, it was a tough match. I can improve physically, of course, but today I felt good. I moved much better, my hip reacted well, and I'm pleased with that. Now I'll have a rest day, which is good for me, and I hope to be ready for Friday's challenge.”

The Italian player struggled to curb the power of young American Michelsen: "I felt the forehand was a very important shot to play against him. He's a very smart player, using his backhand very effectively. So I tried to put more pressure with the forehand when I had the chance. Obviously, the court is quite slippery and fast, so the flatter you can play sometimes, the better. I tried to vary the shots, playing some higher balls with a bit more top spin, trying to disrupt the rhythm.”

The Italian ace will face Thompson

The 2024 Australian Open champion has never achieved much in Cincinnati so far. In 2021 he was eliminated by John Isner, in 2022 he was defeated by Felix Auger-Aliassime and last year he was eliminated immediately by the Serbian Dusan Lajovic. Before the tournament started, Jannik admitted that conditions in Cincinnati are not his favorite.

Jannik Sinner Jannik Sinner© Dylan Buell / Stringer Getty Images Sport  

“Here usually I struggle a little bit to play because of the conditions, but I'm looking forward to see my reaction this year, because it's a great test for me,” Jannik Sinner explained. “I believe that this tournament can give you a lot of confidence then for the US Open, which is the last Grand Slam we have throughout the year. So in my mind, this is a very important tournament," he continued.

The difficulties of the last two months do not obscure a fantastic season for Sinner. The young Italian won his first Grand Slam title in Melbourne earlier this year and won his second Masters 1000 in Miami in spring. Jannik also won the ATP 500 in Rotterdam and the ATP 500 in Halle. Sinner hoped to shine at the French Open and Wimbledon Championships, but he stopped in the semi-finals and quarterfinals respectively.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/8LRUjpY
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments