name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Karolina Muchova reveals true feelings after losing first post-wrist surgery final

Karolina Muchova reveals true feelings after losing first post-wrist surgery final

Advertisemen

Karolina Muchova may have lost a tight battle and fallen just short of winning her first title since returning from wrist surgery but she still felt like the week itself was "a win" for her and also gave all the credit possible to Zheng Qinwen. 

On Sunday evening in Palermo, fans had a chance to watch an outstanding battle between the two top seeds and two players who have been to Grand Slam finals in the last 14 months. In the end, it was No. 1 seed and 2024 Australian Open finalist Zheng who came up with a little bit more and managed to beat No. 2 seed and 2023 French Open runner-up Muchova 6-4 4-6 6-2 in two hours and 49 minutes of play.

In Palermo, Muchova - who is set to celebrate her 28th birthday next month - was playing just her third tournament of the year. Previously, the Czech former world No. 8 sustained a wrist injury during her 2023 US Open semifinal run and she didn't play until last month's WTA tournament in Eastbourne. 

While Muchova had her first post-surgery title at stake, Zheng was also playing for something special - she was hoping to defend her Palermo title and win back-to-back titles for the first time in her career. And after the 21-year-old Chinese managed to do so, Muchova was the first to recognize it. 

“I’d like to congratulate Qinwen and her team. You played great. Great match I think. It was a good fight. Well deserved and good luck for the rest of the season. I’d like to thank the tournament for giving me a wildcard. I really enjoyed my time," Muchova said after the final.

"For me it’s a win to be back playing on the tour. I’m just very glad and happy to be here. Happy to be a finalist. I feel like I’m meant to have this plate. Hopefully one day I’ll hold the trophy too. Thank you to the tournament and to the people. Grazie. I love you."

Karolina Muchova Karolina Muchova © Getty Images Sport - Julian Finney   What Zheng said after overcoming Muchova in the Palermo final?

After seeing her Palermo debut run end in the round-of-16 in 2021, Zheng returned to the clay courts of Palermo last year and won her first title at the tournament after beating home favorite Jasmine Paolini in the final. This year, the 21-year-old Chinese had another victorious run in Palermo and now she has her first title of the year but also her fourth overall WTA title. 

After securing back-to-back Palermo titles, Zheng didn't hide how much it meant to her but also took a moment to congratulate Muchova on her strong win. 

“I’m really happy to come back here to Palermo. It’s a really special place for me. It’s my third year here and second title. Nothing can describe my feelings. Congratulations Karolina that you and me are both wildcards here. Thanks to the tournament for giving us the opportunity. Grazie," Zheng said. 

"Thanks for the fans for watching tonight. I love the atmosphere here. I don’t know if this tournaments gonna continue next year. I hope so. Because I really love it and it’s really special for me. Thanks to my team. I can’t do it without all of you guys. Everyone here is really important to me. My achievements are not only mine, they’re from the whole team."

Zheng Qinwen Zheng Qinwen © Getty Images Sport - Dan Istitene   How Zheng beat Muchova?

After coming back from an early break down, Zheng found herself again down by a break after Muchova broke her in the seventh game. But after putting herself in a good position to win the opener, Muchova started making unforced errors and lost the first set after suffering back-to-back breaks in the eighth and 10th games. 

Zheng Qinwen Zheng Qinwen © Getty Images Sport - Mike Hewitt  

At the start of the second set, Muchova managed to bounce back and go 4-1 up after breaking Zheng twice early in the set. While Muchova managed to win the second set and force a decider, it didn't come smoothly since Zheng managed to get one break back before also having four break points in the 10th game - the game in which the Czech served for the set.

The third set also brought some early on as Zheng went 3-0 up before Muchova got the break back instantly in the fifth game. However, blowing an early break didn't impact Zheng, who broke Muchova again in the sixth and eighth games to complete her three-set win. 



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/Cz3kZSR
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments