name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Classy Roger Federer shares an honest view of his farewell

Classy Roger Federer shares an honest view of his farewell

Advertisemen

"My career is over, but, deep down, I probably still have a little machine developing, because I've been doing this for so long… You try every day to be the best player you can be, and all of a sudden, you switch off and change everything!"

Roger Federer: The Last Twelve Days was finally released yesterday, the documentary broadcast on Prime Video which tells the story of the last 12 days of Roger Federer's legendary career. The Swiss champion, explaining the reasons that pushed him to document the last moments of competitive activity in an interview with Le Figaro, confessed how difficult it was, and how difficult it still is today, to realize that it's all over.

"I never thought I would achieve all this and I told myself I had to enjoy it. I didn't want to get into a loop of: hey, another Slam title, or one more week as world number 1. And the same when I announced my retirement. I sent a quick message online and then, bam, it's over: I'm taking my boys to soccer and going home to do homework with my girls," he added.

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal© Julian Finney / Staff Getty Images Sport  

"It remains a stand-by mode, and talking about it brings me back to this situation, which is beautiful. It's strange, it's very touching to see what I mean to the fans. Maybe some of them met at a tournament, got married and had a son they named Roger. I have many little anecdotes on the subject. Like a fan who asks me to never stop playing and, today, that's what I would like with Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. I wish they would play forever, but obviously everything ends," explained Roger.

Federer, in an interview with WELT, explained when was the moment he realized his career had come to an end.

"It was a shame that things didn't turn out in the best way in the end, but at the same time I'm grateful. I was 35 when I had to have surgery for the first time in 2016. It can fit when you've played so many games. I believe there is simply an expiration date for a body. In recent years I noticed that I couldn't break out of this vicious cycle, but that's okay too. I'm back on my feet today. The last half hour against Hurkacz was absolutely tough at Wimbledon.

I knew nothing would work anymore. I wasn't the same anymore. I understood that the end was approaching. It all hit me like an avalanche. Then it ended and I had to go to a conference. What a horror! How was it returning to Wimbledon? I actually didn't want to go to Wimbledon in 2022, because I was injured. But then there was the centenary of Center Court. That's why I went there at the last moment and got a big ovation. It was crazy!" he told.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/EBeCLvx
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments