name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Elina Svitolina reveals tough part in stunning Iga Swiatek at Wimbledon

Elina Svitolina reveals tough part in stunning Iga Swiatek at Wimbledon

Advertisemen

Elina Svitolina admitted it wasn't easy playing against Iga Swiatek because she considers the Pole a good friend and a great person. On Tuesday, former world No 3 Svitolina pulled off her biggest win since returning as she upset top-seeded Swiatek 7-5 6-7 (5) 6-2 to reach the Wimbledon semifinal. When Svitolina was sidelined last year and expecting her first baby, Swiatek organized a charity event for Ukraine in Poland. 

"It was a much tougher game I would say because she's a great person, she's a big champion. She has done so much, and doing still so much for Ukraine. We really admire her in Ukraine. In the way when you're playing your good buddy, it's tough because you don't want to see her/him losing. So in a way it's like this. When I was away from tennis, I was really cheering for her, really happy with the results, really amazed with what she is doing. It's really remarkable. Yeah, I would say it was quite tough, to be fair," Svitolina said.

Svitolina came up big against Swiatek

Before pregnancy, Svitolina had several notable Grand Slam runs that would end with a loss in the latter stage of a tournament. Against world No 1 Swiatek, Svitolina missed out on a chance to close out the match in two sets. But in the third set, Svitolina found the strength to bounce back and still escape with a win. After the match, 28-year-old Svitolina was asked about struggling to close out Grand Slam matches of this nature in the past.

"It's different right now. Right now I just say to myself I think it's less years that I have in front than behind me. I have to go for it. I don't have time to lose anymore. I don't know how many years I will be playing more," Svitolina said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/945ZimU
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments