name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Gael Monfils rips retirement rumors, says he is aiming to play Monte Carlo Masters

Gael Monfils rips retirement rumors, says he is aiming to play Monte Carlo Masters

Advertisemen

Gael Monfils, 36, says he is definitely not retiring and revealed he is aiming to compete at the Monte Carlo Masters, which starts on April 9th.

After being out for six months, Monfils made his return at the Indian Wells Masters, where he was beaten by Jordan Thompson in his opener.

In Miami, Monfils had to retire against Ugo Humbert after just a couple of games played due to wrist pain.

"So, am I making my comeback? Or am I about to quit tennis? Not obvious, if I believe the media coverage I have been the subject of in recent weeks. Let's get things straight: Yes, I lost my first two matches in the United States. Yes, I then injured my wrist and had to retire my last match in Miami. Yes, it's disappointing, but it's not 'a disaster' nor 'devastating' as the most sensationalist media wrote. No, it's not a serious injury: it's inflammation, linked to a neuromuscular problem. Infiltration, ultrasound and TECAR therapy should remedy this. And with any luck, I'll be on the court in two weeks, at the Monte-Carlo Open," Monfils wrote in a post published on his website.

Monfils: I'm fine

"I'm fine, I'm recovering, I have nothing broken. I'm disappointed that my trip to the United States was cut short, but I loved my time on the court. And finally, even if I lost, I'm not ready to give up. There is always another game to come. So, as I always say: on to the next one!" Monfils wrote.

In Monte Carlo, Monfils is a very familiar face but he hasn't played at the tournament since 2016.

Monfils made his Monte Carlo debut nearly two decades ago - in 2005.

In 2016, Monfils achieved his best-ever Monte Carlo result - when he made the final before losing to Rafael Nadal.

In recent years, Monfils wanted to play in Monte Carlo but injuries would always prevent him from doing so.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/zAhyQqu
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments