name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> 'Devastated' Fabio Fognini joins Rafael Nadal on Monte Carlo withdrawal list

'Devastated' Fabio Fognini joins Rafael Nadal on Monte Carlo withdrawal list

Advertisemen

Fabio Fognini has announced that he is withdrawing from the Monte Carlo Masters due to a foot injury.

Fognini, 35, made his debut on the clay courts of Monte Carlo in 2009.

Since then, Fognini has made 13 consecutive appearances at the tournament. 

Unfortunately this year, Fognini will be missing Monte Carlo for the first time in nearly 15 years. 

Fognini captured his first and lone Masters title in Monte Carlo four years ago. 

"I am sad to announce that I won’t be able to play the upcoming Monte Carlo tournament. Unfortunately the foot injury I sustained in Estoril is still under review and the pain won’t allow me to play. I’m devastated. You all know how much I love Monte Carlo. I want to publicly thank the organizers for the wild card. I hope to be back on court again soon," Fognini announced through an Instagram Story.

Fognini joins Rafael Nadal, Carlos Alcaraz

Earlier this week, record 11-time Monte Carlo champion Nadal announced his withdrawal from the opening Masters clay tournament of the year.

Nadal hasn't played since the Australian Open and he does not feel 100% to compete.

"Unfortunately I am still not ready to compete and will miss one of those special tournaments I always love to play. Monte Carlo is and has been a key event on my career, but unfortunately I will have to miss it again since I am still not ready to compete without the risk of getting injured. I will continue the process of getting ready to come back," Nadal said in an official press release. 

Just moments after Nadal withdrew, Alcaraz also announced his withdrawal.

"I have post-traumatic arthritis in my left hand and muscular discomfort in the spine that needs rest to prepare for everything that is to come. See you in 2024," Alcaraz said.

Hours after Nadal and Alcaraz pulled out, Felix Auger-Aliassime also withdrew from Monte Carlo. 



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/jafXNl1
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments