name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Vika Azarenka: " I can't force anyone to shake my hand"

Vika Azarenka: " I can't force anyone to shake my hand"

Advertisemen

Victoria Azarenka has the upper hand in the second round match of the US Open against Marta Kostyuk. Cold, if not icy, was the endgame between the two players, deriving from the well-known off-field issues concerning the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.

Recently, the young tennis player from Kiev said she didn't like participating in the pro-Ukraine fundraiser before the New York Slam of the Belarusian at all, as the latter has never taken a clear position since the beginning of the conflict. 

Having won the challenge, Azarenka reached the press room to talk to the media, commenting on the icy net salute with Kostyuk: "It didn't surprise me, to tell the truth, even if I don't think it's important, there's no need to a drama. I always shake hands with my opponents, the same situation happened to me with Yastrmeska in Washington, that's how it is. You have to go on, I can't force anyone to shake my hand, it's their decision. Did she make me feel bad? Let's say it's not the most important thing at the moment."

Azarenka: "Open to listening and empathy"

She does not respond to the polemics of Marta Kostyuk with the same attitude as Victoria Azarenka, who said she was open to listening and empathy towards anyone.

The expert Belarusian tennis player, who lets himself be carried away by the bright tones of recent times, wanted to clarify it at a press conference: "For me the most important thing is to help, there are young people who need clothes, others who need money or transport.

This is the most important thing for me, to help those in need. If Marta wants to talk to me, as she did yesterday, I will answer her. I am open to listening, understanding and empathy. Empathy in these moments is fundamental, this has been my message from the beginning. What is happening in the world right now is very hard, we must not forget that we are all human and that this is how we have to treat each other."

Victoria Azarenka who, however, did not miss the opportunity to estrange herself from any kind of political or media games: "I think many things are being done, but perhaps not enough.

From my point of view, I see that people do some things differently in public and others in front of the camera, the same thing happens when there are personal conversations and conversations through messages.

This is what I sometimes struggle to understand, but it's not up to me to judge. All I can do is offer my help, hoping to find other solutions, we are open to listening to all who need it. Of course I will not play these media or political games, they are not like that and I never have been."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/O1flz3n
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments