name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Iga Swiatek cracks joke about US Open prize money (WATCH)

Iga Swiatek cracks joke about US Open prize money (WATCH)

Advertisemen

World No. 1 Iga Swiatek was in great spirits after winning the US Open as she jokingly said she was glad her $2.6 million prize money was presented to her via a cheque and not in cash. 

In the US Open women's singles final, first-seeded Swiatek defeated Tunisian Ons Jabeur 6-2 7-6 (5). 

As a result, Swiatek is now a three-time Grand Slam champion and is wealthier for nearly $3 million more. 

"I'm really glad that it's not in cash," Swiatek could have been heard saying.

Swiatek gave credit to her team

After winning her first US Open title, Swiatek gave credit to her team which includes coach Tomasz Wiktorowski, sports psychologist Daria Abramowicz and strength and conditioning coach/physiotherapist Maciej Ryszczuk. 

"You know guys, how tough it was basically. And I'm pretty sure that I'm giving you sometimes such a hard time. You're always the ones that are basically smarter and know better what to do even though I'm pretty stubborn. I'm pretty happy that I have you on my side and I have people who really know how to guide me. So if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't stand here. I wouldn't be so well prepared. So, thank you guys," Swiatek said.

After losing early at Wimbledon and failing to win Warsaw, Swiatek didn't make a promising start to her North American hard court swing. 

Swiatek kicked off her summer on hard courts in Toronto, where she suffered a shock round-of-16 loss to Beatriz Haddad Maia.

The following week in Cincinnati, Swiatek was ousted by Madison Keys in the round-of-16.

After losing early in Toronto and Cincinnati, it was clear that Swiatek was struggling with her game. 

But Swiatek bounced back in style, winning the US Open to clinch her third Grand Slam title. 

"I really needed to stay composed and focus on the goals and for sure this tournament was really challenging," Swiatek said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/mYqRBLG
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments