name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Nick Kyrgios: 'I do this because I have to be here'

Nick Kyrgios: 'I do this because I have to be here'

Advertisemen

Nick Kyrgios acknowledged that his victory at the Montreal Masters over Daniil Medvedev was not the first he had achieved against a world number 1. On Wednesday, Kyrgios stunned top-seeded Medvedev 6-7(2), 6-4, 6-2 in the second round of the Montreal Masters. After the match, Kyrgios pointed out that he never lacks self-confidence and that he definitely knows what it takes to beat a world number 1. "They're acting like they haven't beaten world No. 1s before or something. I have done it before. I have beaten Medvedev before. I have beaten Roger, Novak, Rafa. I feel that my confidence, and my belief in myself is never short. I could lose five games in a row and still believe I have a chance to beat anyone," Kyrgios said, according to Sportskeeda. Earlier this year, Medvedev defeated Kyrgios at the Australian Open. Eight months later, Kyrgios avenged his loss at the Australian Open and is now 3-1 against Medvedev. "It was a tough match. I didn't go out thinking he was No. 1 in the world," Kyrgios said. We have faced three times. He has beaten me once, I have beaten him twice. He knew he was feeling confident, so he had to come out with a style of play that didn't give him too much pace. I served and volleyed almost every point." After wasting two set points in the first set, Kyrgios recovered early in the second set, earning the first break of the match in the first game of the set. Kyrgios held his serve for the rest of the second set to force the decider. In the third set, Medvedev took a 2-1 lead after the first three games. However, Kyrgios collected two consecutive breaks and won the next five games to complete a three-set victory.

Kyrgios has been in the form of his life

Nick Kyrgios spoke about his apathy for press conferences, adding that he does them only because of the policy of being fined otherwise. "As for media, I couldn't care less. I do this because I have to be here and I don't want to get fined, so…," Kyrgios said. He continued by saying that the whole process is not very enjoyable and if given an option, he'd not think twice before opting out. "I mean, it's routine. I don't really enjoy it, to be honest. I'd rather not be here right now," he added. Nick Kyrgios has been in the form of his life. He had an impressive run at this year's Wimbledon.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/FuSDdQY
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments