name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Andy Murray addresses claims that he should retire

Andy Murray addresses claims that he should retire

Advertisemen

Andy Murray says he is aware that some think he should retire from tennis but adds he will continue playing as long as he feels he can improve. 

Murray, 35, is past his prime and hasn't had a great Grand Slam result since 2017. 

Murray has managed to win one ATP title since returning from two hip surgeries but it is a far cry from the results he was achieving during the best days of his career. 

“It has also given me a purpose each day. There is a routine because you’re always trying to improve yourself and get better at something. I enjoy that process," Murray said, per Tennis365. “I love this sport. That’s essentially why I am back and why I wanted to keep going: because I love the sport. There’s a lot of people that feel like maybe I shouldn’t be playing. But I love tennis, and I love competing, and I feel like I can get better than where I am today. If I reach that point where I don’t feel like I can improve or that things are maybe going backward, then that would maybe change where I’m at.”

Murray on his contributions to Ukraine

Since March, Murray has been donating his prize money to aid Ukrainian children impacted by the war.

“What is happening in Ukraine is horrifying,” Murray said. “You can never put yourself exactly in their shoes; I’m aware of that. But it must be absolutely terrifying, heartbreaking and scary. I wanted to do something, and the only thing I can probably offer is to give money to try and help the children that are being displaced from their families."

Meanwhile, Murray kicked off his summer on hard courts this week at the Citi Open in Washington, where he suffered a first round defeat to Mikael Ymer.

Murray is hoping to achieve at least one more big Grand Slam run before he retires and it will be interesting to see how he does leading up to the US Open.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/gPp5T68
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments