name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Novak Djokovic comments on his astonishing record versus Gael Monfils

Novak Djokovic comments on his astonishing record versus Gael Monfils

Advertisemen

Former world No. 6 Gael Monfils has been one of the best players on the ATP Tour for over the past decade and a half but he remains without a win over Novak Djokovic. 

On Tuesday, Djokovic routinely handled Monfils 6-3 6-2 in the Madrid second round. 

It was the 18th meeting between the two and Djokovic's 18th win over Monfils. 

After the match, Djokovic was asked about his stunning streak versus Monfils. 

Two years ago in Dubai, Monfils had three match points versus Djokovic but he froze on those match points as Djokovic escaped with a three-set win. 

"I don't have any explanation for that, I just try to approach it like any other match,” Djokovic said, as quoted on the ATP Tour website. “I guess his game is suitable to my game in terms of playing style. But we've had some very close matchups. The last time we played in Dubai he had match points, so that could have easily broken the record.

"I don't think about that too much. For me mentally this is a very important win.”

Djokovic praises Monfils

Djokovic is one of the best when it comes to highlighting the positive sides of his opponents. 

After beating Monfils, Djokovic hailed Monfils as one of the most athletic and quickest players on the Tour. 

“I played one of the most athletic and quickest players that we have in the game,” Djokovic said. “I know his game very well. I know I have to always be ready that another ball will always come back from his part of the court, that you have to constantly try to have a controlled aggression… and dictate the point.

“I was moving well, dictating with the forehand side, moving him around the court and finding my serve [and] also the last few service games, [finding my] return.”



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/EQ6Omos
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments