name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Lesia Tsurenko opens on her bad luck with draws at Majors after losing to Iga Swiatek

Lesia Tsurenko opens on her bad luck with draws at Majors after losing to Iga Swiatek

Advertisemen

Ukrainian tennis player Lesia Tsurenko admitted she was a bit frustrated after drawing a world No. 1 in back-to-back Grand Slam tournaments. 

On Monday, Tsurenko clashed first-seeded Iga Swiatek in the French Open first round. 

Swiatek has been absolutely brilliant over the last three months and she ousted Tsurenko with a 6-2 6-0 score. 

Tsurenko won three qualifying matches to earn a French Open main draw place, before losing to Swiatek. 

A similar scenario happened for Tsurenko earlier this year at the Australian Open. 

At Melbourne Park, Tsurenko made it past the qualifying event before losing in the Australian Open to the then world No. 1 Ashleigh Barty. 

"How do you think I feel to play two Grand Slams in a row against No. 1 seed? And Australian Open was two times in a row for me. So I didn't feel great, to be honest. At least I qualify and I won some matches. I wan to continue playing and winning," Tsurenko said, per Mario Boccardi.

Tsurenko thought about taking a break 

On February 24, Russia launched their invasion of Ukraine. 

The past three months haven't been easy for Tsurenko or any other Ukrainian tennis player. 

Tsurenko revealed there were times when she wanted to pause her tennis career and return to Ukraine. 

Tsurenko decided to continue playing but admits it is extremely difficult to compete when she is constantly thinking about what is happening in her home country.

"I'll be honest, I don't feel great playing. My first idea was to go home when it all started, and I had a long conversation inside of me that I should just go to Ukraine and try to help there in some way. I don't know in which way, but just in some way," Tsurenko said. 

The clay season finishes in less than two weeks and Tsurenko will now likely rest a bit and then kick off her preparation for the grass season.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/g3M2a4t
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments