name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Stan Wawrinka opens on 'many moments of doubts' he had over last year

Stan Wawrinka opens on 'many moments of doubts' he had over last year

Advertisemen

Former world No. 3 Stan Wawrinka admitted he doubted whether he would be able to make a comeback as he ended up being sidelined for much more than it was initially expected. 

Wawrinka played his last tournament of the 2021 season in March in Dubai. 

Wawrinka was hoping to be out for just a couple of weeks but he ended up undergoing two foot surgeries and being sidelined for the next 12 months. 

Wawrinka made his long-awaited comeback in late last month at the Marbella Challenger. 

“[It is] not a miracle, I wouldn’t say that, but it was very long and difficult, more than a year,” Wawrinka added, per Tennis365.

“I thought I would be [out] only a few weeks. It lasted a whole year with many moments of doubts. It was extremely long and tough.

“I really needed to have the willpower to come back, to have the strength to go through rehab and everything, and I’m very happy to be here now.”

Wawrinka hopes to avoid setbacks now that he is back 

“Of course there were those questions in my mind. I was afraid things wouldn’t happen the way I wanted them to happen, and when you have those difficult times and those doubts, you know you need to go through rehab to be able to live a normal daily life anyway," Wawrinka added.

“So in my mind, one way or the other, I knew I would want to come back. Maybe saying goodbye, having pain would be an option, but for the time being things are going well.

“I can practise a lot, which is good. I hope I’ll be able to do that the whole year.”

After Marbella, Wawrinka was awarded a wildcard into this week's Monte Carlo Masters. 

Wawrinka made a positive start to his Monte Carlo opener but Alexander Bublik recovered from a set down to beat the Swiss 3-6 7-5 6-2. 

Wawrinka is now 0-2 in 2022. 



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/flhBr1c
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments