name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Iga Swiatek explains why she is taking Rafael Nadal's approach, not Novak Djokovic's

Iga Swiatek explains why she is taking Rafael Nadal's approach, not Novak Djokovic's

Advertisemen

World No. 1 Iga Swiatek reveals she is taking the approach of Rafael Nadal as she wants to go day-by-day and see where it will take her. 

Nadal, who will be turning 36, is still a dominant force in the game, having won a record 21st Grand Slam at the Australian Open in January. 

When asked about the all-time Grand Slam record or records in general, Nadal prefers not to get too much into it, simply stating he is enjoying playing and that he will play as long as he feels well on the court. 

On the other side, world No. 1 Novak Djokovic admitted last year definitely one of his biggest goals is to finish his career with the all-time Grand Slam record. 

"[I see my career plan as] like Rafa [Nadal]. I feel closest to this approach. I want to focus on my day-to-day work," Swiatek told Eurosport France, per Sportskeeda. "It's important, it's the most clear situation for me. If I start thinking about records, or 'I want to be the first in this, the first to do that', it's not good for me."

Swiatek taking Nadal's approach but understands Djokovic 

"I don't want to be like I'm always chasing something. So focus on the day-by-day, the next match. It helps me to stay calm. Don't waste energy on other stuff," Swiatek added. "But everyone is different so I can also understand Novak [Djokovic's] way [of openly declaring which records he wants to break]."

Meanwhile, Swiatek kicked off her clay season this Wednesday. 

Swiatek, seeded at No. 1, demolished qualifier Eva Lys to progress into the Stuttgart quarterfinal. 

Swiatek has now won her 20 matches. 

After winning Doha, Indian Wells and Miami, Swiatek won two Billie Jean King Cup matches last week.

With the Lys win, Swiatek extended her winning streak to 20 matches.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3wnj9dD
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments