name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Rafael Nadal: 'Nothing can be accomplished...'

Rafael Nadal: 'Nothing can be accomplished...'

Advertisemen

Rafael Nadal won the ATP 500 tournament in Barcelona for the twelfth time in his career, beating Stefanos Tsitsipas in an exciting final. The Spaniard won a real battle, which lasted three hours and thirty-eight minutes, and did it in his own way: the one that distinguishes great champions. Nadal had two match points canceled in the second set and then lost the partial at the tie-break, but this was not enough to scratch his heart and his determination. In the third and decisive set, it was the Mallorcan's turn to cancel a match point and accomplish the feat by closing the match with a score of 6-4, 6-7(6), 7-5. “It is an important victory for me. Firstly, because it is a historic tournament; secondly, because it is in my circle. It is a tournament that I have played all my career and that I have watched since I was a child, ”said Nadal at a press conference. "The moment of the season is perfect for winning the first title of the year. I think this week can help me face the next commitments with a positive mindset. It was a difficult victory, even if I think I still have room for improvement in tennis; these are my feelings. Few points have shifted the balance of the game, this is the reality. I had two match points in the second set; then in the third I was ahead and I made some mistakes. The third set was the best in terms of quality. It was a very close match, played against a great opponent. Games like this help me improve. Winning this tournament, once again, means a lot to me. I am really satisfied and happy. Hate to lose? I don't hate losing. The truth is that I like to win and, above all, to compete. I like to make sacrifices to try to achieve goals. If I fail to achieve them, I will be able to return home in peace after fighting to the end. It is an attitude that I have in life and that I have also managed to bring to the world of sport. I have always respected my rivals and the essence of sport; I try to do my best every day. The past? I try not to look back too far."

Rafael Nadal after his 12th Barcelona Open crown

Speaking after that excruciating victory, Rafael Nadal reflected on the positives that he took from his disappointing run at the Monte-Carlo Masters. “I have made progress all week. It’s an important victory for the future. It’s a daily job. You have to accept the challenge, be humble to accept not always to play well, fight to find solutions. Nothing can be accomplished otherwise,” Nadal commented. Also, there was a lot to gain for Stefanos Tsitsipas from this match. He had shown incredible self-belief in winning the second set. While he is known to have a few outbursts on-court when things don’t go his way on-court, it was a different Tsitsipas the tennis world witnessed today. He proved that he is a big-match player, and can be a vital prospect in the upcoming Grand Slams.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3gJmiVH
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments