name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Rafael Nadal would be world No. 1 in doubles if he played, says captain

Rafael Nadal would be world No. 1 in doubles if he played, says captain

Advertisemen

Rafael Nadal scored two wins on Wednesday in Davis Cup, first in singles defeating Borna Gojo 6-4 6-3 and then in doubles with Marcel Granollers prevailing over Ivan Dodig and Mate Pavic 6-4 6-3. The world No. 1 said: "I did not know the opponent. I struggled to control the point. The serve worked but I could improve on the return. In the second set I improved, I played more aggressive and I felt with more intensity and confidence. I knew Borna Gojo was tall and he served at 216, 218 and 220. We are very happy to be in the quarters because it was a very tough match despite Roberto Bautista Agut won the first match and the tie was easier than yesterday."

On the doubles match he won with Nadal, Granollers said: "It was a match where we wanted to find our feelings."

Nadal added: "Playing doubles was important because I have not been doing it for a year except the Laver Cup. We have great players but I am one of the eligible guys too and it was important to play it. Granollers helps me a lot at the net, he played a great match and me a correct one."

The Spanish team captain Sergi Bruguera said Nadal playing doubles was a correct choice in order to take confidence and have one more option for the future. "Having different options is always good and especially ours, which are very good, also Pablo Carreno Busta can play doubles. Nadal is one of the best doubles players. He doesn't play it a lot but if he did, he would be number one."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/34f9QnB
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments