In an interview with La Nacion, Indian player Sumit Nagal spoke of his match against Roger Federer in the US Open first round last month. Nagal said: "I always looked more at Nadal and Ferrer, I like their motivation on the court. But Federer is incredible. As a kid, I always watched him on TV playing at the US Open, wearing black outfits in the night sessions. And now being there is like a movie. It made me so happy. I was thinking for a long time about it. It's never easy to go out there and play as best as you can for the first time on a big stage, although it's something you live and dream for. In my country people were very attracted when I faced Federer, but not much more. If you do well, you are incredible. If you do bad, goodbye. In many countries, it's like this. It's about success."
Nagal got $56,000 prize money in New York but he admitted that things can change quickly: "At the beginning of the year when I was flying from Canada to Germany after a tournament, I had just six dollars in my pocket. Six dollars! I will not exaggerate. But I survived, and you soon start improving. Tennis is not a sport where you see the results throughout the year, in India people check results in a very quick way. If this mentality doesn't change, you will see the country's players in Grand Slams only once every five, six years."
from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2lOZAl6
Tennis



