name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Rod Laver: 'I do not know how I would face Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal'

Rod Laver: 'I do not know how I would face Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal'

Advertisemen

In an interview to Marca, the Australian legend Rod Laver commented on what has changed the most in the men's tennis has changed compared to the past. "The rackets, without a doubt", said Laver. "The current technology cannot be compared to the rackets we played with back in our days. They were more little, the grip was more reduced and that complicated everything. Now many players play well because rackets are bigger. That's why I never thought about how I would face Nadal or Federer because I always see myself with my rackets."

Laver did not play several Majors during his career: "In '63 through '69, I wasn't eligible. I couldn't even play in them. But, you know, some of the other players did probably -- you know, not put the emphasis on, if you're a great player, why wouldn't you be playing there? And I don't know why they would have pulled out. But the emphasis on the Grand Slams -- not the Grand Slams, but the Grand Slam tournaments, you know, it wasn't anything like the power of what a Grand Slam means today. Yes, they played, but I don't think they find themselves saying, Oh, I've got to win the Australian, I've got to win the French. They say, Well, maybe I'll enter, maybe I won't. Now it's night and day on how players put their schedule together."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2ZbPIQd
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments