name='verify_a78772d791e94fc7f9666f0dd14249cc'/> Martinez reveals keys behind her, Rafael Nadal's Wimbledon successes

Martinez reveals keys behind her, Rafael Nadal's Wimbledon successes

Advertisemen

In an interview to Marca, the former world No. 2 Conchita Martinez commented on how it felt to win the 1994 Wimbledon. The Spaniard said: "Winning in Wimbledon is something great, where only Manolo Santana could. Then Rafael Nadal and, much before, Lili Alvarez came. We grew up on clay but the greatness of winning on a surface is very complicated until you become a friend of it. Then you can do big things there as well."

Asked how she started with tennis, Martinez replied: "I started in Monzon, where I was born, on two courts I was seeing from my home. I was playing against the wall. Then I started having this excitement and my parents struggled, especially my mother, when I went to Barcelona at 12 years of age, but their support was always there, they never put pressure on me."

Martinez coaches Karolina Pliskova. The Czech, analyzing her loss to her sister Krystina, said: "We were both nervous in the tie-breaker. I think she was for sure playing the first set amazing. There were not many chances for me. I was a little bit too much waiting for mistakes, too much waiting for what was going to happen and she was hitting it and she went for it and she was serving great, so there were not many chances for me. Then I felt I was better, maybe second, third set, I had more chances to break, already first game after the second game, so I think it was for sure a couple of chances where I should or where I could play much better. I think she was definitely better on the serve, which I think on grass is normal and she's a lefty, so the serve was always better (smiling). And, yeah, of course, a little bit unlucky but I'm happy for her. She played some good matches here. She was feeling confident today so she had nothing to lose. It is tough to play your sister, but I think she was playing good today."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2J7nUX8
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos on the web sometimes come from various other media sources. Copyright is fully held by the source. If there are problems related to this, you can contact us disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments